Twenty-five years ago, Susan G. Komen Orange County set out on an important journey to help reduce the amount of lives lost to breast cancer. Our work ran the gamut – from increasing breast cancer awareness through educational initiatives to helping community members during their breast cancer diagnoses, treatments and recoveries.
Sept. 25 marks our 25th Annual Race for the Cure at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. This event will be particularly special for us, as we will be celebrating all that we have accomplished in the local breast health community and uniting with thousands of breast cancer warriors to raise funds for critical programs and services.
Since Komen OC’s first Race for the Cure in 1992, breast cancer research and advancements have come a long way, thanks to all those who tirelessly work to advance our mission of saving lives. Highlights include:
- More than 67% of women report that they are receiving annual mammograms
- Around the world, there are more than 3 million breast cancer survivors (largest number out of all cancer types)
- Those diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer have a 95% survival rate
- Komen has become the world’s largest breast cancer organization
- Komen OC has raised more than $36.5 million through Race for the Cure, with 75 percent of all funds raised staying here in Orange County. The remaining 25 percent of funds help to advance breast cancer research
Our vision is that one day we will live in a world without breast cancer and your continued support is needed to achieve this goal. In Orange County each year, nearly 2,000 people are diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 300 are taken by the horrible disease. When you participate and fundraise at Race for the Cure, you help us to beat these odds – while also providing vital breast cancer services to more than 2,300 individuals.
Race for the Cure is fast-approaching, don’t miss out! Help us save a life, raise breast cancer awareness and meet many other dedicated Komen supporters. Register today at komenoc.org/race for this inspiring event! When you make a $25 donation at the time of registration, you will receive a limited edition Komen OC 25th Anniversary medal.
Can’t make it to Race? Sleep in for the Cure for $45 and receive a Race t-shirt and bib in the mail.