• Know Your Risk!

    The greatest risk factor for getting breast cancer is being a woman. Know your risk and click here for health and screening tips.
  • Visits to our blog

    • 95,422 blog visits
  • Advertisements

A season of gratitude

As this year is coming to an end, we reflect back on our gratitude for the millions of dollars that you, Komen OC supporters, have helped raised in 2017; the thousands of volunteers that give their time and talent help fight against breast cancer; the hundreds of sponsors that have stepped in to make events like the Pink Tie Ball and Race for the Cure possible; and the dedicated board of directors and staff that lead this organization every day.

We’re grateful for your donations

  • Our biggest fundraiser of the year, Race for the Cure, raised more than $1.2 million this year! Since its inception in 1991, the Orange County Race for the Cure has raised nearly $40 million toward cancer research and awareness.
  • This year’s “On the Edge” Pink Tie Ball event raised more than $635,000 to fund the next generation of research and local initiatives to achieve the organization’s Bold Goal, to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026.

Did you know that 75 percent of the funds raised through Komen Orange County events like the Pink Tie Ball and Race for the Cure support local breast cancer awareness and education programs right here in Orange County? The other 25 percent is allocated to the Komen Award and Research Grant Program to fund groundbreaking breast cancer research, and to support Komen researchers in their quest for a breast cancer cure.

Volunteers from this year’s Race for the Cure

Volunteers from this year’s Race for the Cure

We’re grateful for your time and service

  • More than 1,600 volunteers assisted in preparation for this year’s Race for the Cure, at booths, water stations, on the course and clean-up.
  • An exclusive group of 7 Orange County male advocates committed to the local fight against breast cancer were named Pink Tie Guys, joining 77 other Orange County businessmen and community leaders selected over the past decade.

We’re grateful for our leadership

Three members joined Komen Orange County’s board of directors for 2017-2018.  Elizabeth Chao, MD, University of California, Irvine, and Lisa Sparks, Ph.D., Chapman University, are new to the board, while Lisa E. Guerra, MD, Breastlink, is a returning member.  This addition brings a wealth of knowledge and leadership to the organization, furthering its fundraising efforts and community awareness throughout the year.

New board of directors for 2017-2018.  From L-R: Lisa Sparks, PhD, Elizabeth Chao, MD, and Lisa Guerra, MD

New board of directors for 2017-2018.
From L-R: Lisa Sparks, PhD, Elizabeth Chao, MD, and Lisa Guerra, MD

We’re grateful for our sponsors

And last, but not the least, we are grateful for our sponsors, including our third party supporters. We have developed wonderful relationships with our sponsors and supporters, and without them, we would not be able to do half of what we do.

Our 2017 sponsors include:

ABC7; The Allergan Foundation; BNP Paribas; Carol & Becky Burch; Chevron; Cox Communications; Experian; Fashion Island; First American Title Insurance Company; Greenberg Traurig, LLP; Harald Herrmann; Tari & Alain Hirsch; Holland & Knight; Hot Ticket Racing; Ingram Micro; Kaiser Permanente; Knott’s Berry Farm; Lee Ann Canaday of The Canaday Group; Macy’s; Modern Luxury Orange County; Myriad Genetics; The Orange County Register; Orora Packaging Solutions; Pacific Life Insurance Company; Park Newport Apartment Communities; Plaza Bank; Ralphs and Food4Less; Saks Fifth Avenue; Karen & Scott Sherman; Smart Levels; 100.3 The Sound; Spa Gregories; Sparkling Ice; Tom & Marilyn Sutton; Karin & Scott Wheeler; Winston’s Crown Jewelers.

Advertisements